Menu

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Two Charms & Two Yards - Disappearing 9-Patch

Two Charms and Two Yards - A Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt

My local group of quilt ladies has agreed to take on donating quilts to five different local organizations - They are that awesome!!!! Even better, my local quilt shop, Aunt Judy's Attic, has been hosting a Charity Sew Days weekend - the first weekend of every other month (January, March, May, July, September - 2019).
**Update: So many charity quilts were made and turned in, November charity sew day has been canceled**


For the March Charity Sew Days, I was going to be missing the first day - so I wanted something quick. I remembered I had helped pick fabrics from the color wall for an in-shop, custom made charm pack and there was going to be one leftover. I decided to grab it up and have a go at making something out of it.


After some consideration, I decided to go with making a Disappearing Nine Patch block. I purchased two additional yards to go with my charms.

I decided to custom make my second charm pack with fabrics from my stash.


I had to have some help with the layout, and after moving some pieces, I was set...

I added a single border for a frame, 

And bound in green! Such a fun and QUICK little quilt! I had this cut, pieced, and quilted in less than a week! I did put off the binding until I finished a few other projects tho... 


I'm trying something new with my labels. I'm printing them onto Dark IronOn T-Shirt Transfer paper, cutting the exact shape out and ironing it on after it is quilted. I am just loving the way the label looks!


For this quilt, you will need: 

2 Charm Packs of varying print.
    count: Eighty (80) squares, measuring 5" x 5"

1 yard of Blue
    sub-cut into Fifty (50) squares, measuring 5" x 5"

1 yard of Green
    sub-cut into Fifty (50) squares, measuring 5" x 5"

17" for the outside border
    sub-cut into Seven (7) strips measuring 2.5" x wof

17" for binding, if cut at 2.5"
    sub-cut into Seven (7) strips measuring 2.5" x wof

Seam Sizes: Do a test Nine Patch using a 1/4" seam. Center Square should measure 4.5" x 4.5" when sewn. If not, adjust your seam size accordingly.

Make two (2) different sets of Nine Patch units (total count of 20 units):


  • First set, arrange in this layout. Sew a total of 10 units (measures 14" x 14")

    • Four 5" charm squares placed in the four corners
    • Four 5" green squares placed in between the four corners
    • One 5" blue square placed in the center



  • Second set, arranged in this layout. Sew a total of 10 units (measures 14" x 14"):

    • Four 5" charm squares placed in the four corners
    • Four 5" blue squares placed in between the four corners
    • One 5" green square placed in the center




Using a rotary cutter and ruler: cut along both middles of each of the Nine Patch units.
Each corner unit measures 7" x 7".
 
Separate ONLY the Top Right corner and Bottom Left corner.

Rotate ONLY the Top Right corner and Bottom Left corner.



After rotating, sew the four (4) units together to make a Disappearing Nine Patch
(total count of 20 units measuring 13.5" x 13.5")
.


Arrange the twenty (20) blocks according to the layout below; alternate between using the green and the blue units. Quilt center will measure 52.5" x 65.5"


Piece together and sew on two (2) side border units measuring 2.5" x 65.5".


Piece together and sew on the top and bottom border units measuring 2.5" x 56.5".


I hope you enjoy making this quilt as much as I did! If you do get a chance to make it, I would love to see your quilt using this pattern!

I want to send a special Thank You to Judy for letting me quilt it on her longarm.
I used one of her Edge to Edge patterns that had a truck, a train, a plane, and a helicopter.



No comments:

Post a Comment