Menu

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Crocheted Baby Blankets


Right before my son was born, a friend of mine gave me a crocheted baby blanket as a shower gift.  I thought it was a nice gesture, something to keep for years on down the road & I thought I would pass on a baby blanket to my friends and family.  I didn't have any patterns but liked the way the one I was given looked. I counted the stitches and made these since... My niece & nephew count is going up so I've got a lot of work to do...

Made this for a family reunion auction.
Didn't get a chance to take a picture of the beanie I made to go with it. 
My Aunt Sue won the bid for $60.

For my Nephew Robert.
Same stitch but used the colors differently.

For my Niece Abby. I chose the colors for this one as a mixture
 of her Mom & Dad's wedding colors and
 a big purple stuffed animal (I think it was an elephant).

For my Niece Makayla.
I do not know how many balls of yarn I used for each. Wished I had paid better attention. lol!
Most of these are done with two different colors, I tried to choose two of the same weight. More for Color A, less for Color B.
Hooks: size 6mm & 5.5mm

With larger hook & color A, leaving roughly 6 inches of yarn for the frill edges; knot & loosely chain 286, using markers every 50 for easier counting. Tie off leaving 6 inches for the frill.

Each repeating row will start back at the beginning of the chain, always working on the right side.
Use smaller hook for the rest. Each row begins & ties off with 6in frill.

1st Row color A: *1 sc in each back loop of 1st ch. Repeat * until last ch. 
2nd Row color B: *1 sc in front & back loop in sc of 1st Row. Repeat * in 2nd sc of 1st Row. *1 sc in next sc back loop only of 1st Row. Repeat * 281 times in the back loop of each next sc in 1st Row. *1 sc in next sc front & back loop of 1st Row. Repeat * in last sc of 1st Row.
3rd Row color A: *1 sc in front & back loop of 1st sc of 2nd Row. Repeat * in 2nd sc of 2nd Row. *1 sc in next sc back loop of 2nd Row. Repeat * in next 2 sc. ~*1 dc in front loop of next sc of 1st Row. Repeat * 3 times. *1 sc in back loop of next sc of 2nd Row. Repeat * 3 times. Repeat ~ 33 times. *1 dc in front loop of next sc of 1st Row. Repeat * 3 times. *1 sc in next sc back loop of 2nd Row. Repeat * in next 2 sc. *1 sc in front & back loop of next sc of 2nd Row. Repeat * in last sc of 2nd Row.
4th Row color A: Repeat 2nd Row.
5th Row color B: Repeat 2nd Row.
6th Row color A: *1sc in front & back loop of 1st sc of 5th Row. Repeat * in 2nd sc of 5th Row. 1 sc in next sc back loop of 5th Row. *1 dc in next sc front loop of 4th Row. Repeat * in next sc of 4th Row. ~*1 sc in back loop of next sc of 5th Row. Repeat * 3 times. *1 dc in front loop of next sc of 4th Row. Repeat * times. Repeat ~ 33 times. *1 sc in next sc back loop of 5th Row. Repeat * 3 times. *1 dc in next sc front loop of 4th Row. Repeat * in next sc of 4th Row. 1 sc in next sc back loop of 5th Row. *1 sc in front & back loop of next sc of 5th Row. Repeat * in last sc of 5th row.
7th Row color A: Repeat 2nd Row.
Repeat 2nd Row through 7th Row 20 times.
Repeat in color B: 2nd Row.
Repeat in color A: 3rd Row.
Repeat in color A: 2nd Row.

Once it is washed, lay blanket on a flat surface to trim the frill to where it all has equal lenghts.

I only really counted in intervals of 4 as I crocheted across the blanket. If I didn't come out even towards the end, I would pull out to where I missed or added an extra stitch.  I did try to 'eye ball' it and it didn't work out as well.  I found that when I made errors, pulled it out and fixed it, my leftover for the frill was always shorter than what I had originally left it with.  My frill ends may have been longer than 6in...

This is also the first time I have ever tried to 'Write a Pattern' so if there are any errors, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment