Menu

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Six Pointed Crocheted Spool Doily

Six Pointed Crocheted Spool Doily for Vintage Sewing Machines

Singer Treadle Machine made in 1924
I had always wanted one of the 'old' sewing machines, the beautiful wood cabinets always appealed to me... My grandmother has one and I watch my mom claim it as hers once my grandmother was ready to pass it on... (My mom found a sheet of paper, wrote her name on it and stuffed it inside the cabinet.) Knowing I would not be getting my grandmother's machine, I have always been on the lookout for an old machine for me.



Still had the owner's manual, and a few of the feet
My late Mother-in-Law, Antonia Lourdes Chavez, 83 of Santa Rita, New Mexico, had talked about giving me her Mother's treadle sewing machine. She had told me how much work was needed on making it look nice. Since I was more worried about her health at the time, I didn't press much for what needed fixing, when the last time she used it was, if she used it at all... I had no idea when I was going to get the machine but I was excited all the same. As time passed, I really do wish I could have gotten more history from her, but her health never improved.

Well, my Brother-in-Law has been cleaning out their house and finally happened upon the machine Mom wanted to give me. He said, "I've got it loaded, I'm coming over on Wednesday!" Oh! the ANTICIPATION!!! I couldn't stand it! I joined some vintage sewing machine facebook groups, I did research on how to use the machines, I showed the grainy photo to my friends, "Lookit! Look at it!" I was excited!

My friend was talking about what she had to do to fix her machine and she had always mentioned that she wanted a spool thread doily... What!?!? I had never heard of them! I know some machines use felt, 'old' ones used red felt, but a Doily? Well, now I had to have a doily... and why not... I needed to pass the time until my machine arrived!!!


I found a pattern online for a flower doily but it had eight rounded petals, which just didn't fit my style... I tested her pattern and made a second one using a six-pointed petal - hexagonal style. Hopefully, I can share my love with others...





  • sl st - slip stitch
  • ch - chain
  • sc - single crochet
  • hdc - half double crochet
  • dc - double crochet
  • (   ) # times - repeat what is in the parentheses.

Use size 5 crochet thread, hook size: Boye U.S. 5

Start with a Magic Loop - many tutorials can be found online, important that it is adjustable.
Row 1






Row 1: 12 sc in magic loop, cinch loop, 1 sl st in first sc.








Row 2



Row 2: ch 6,  (Skip 1 sc, dc in next sc, ch 3) 5 times, 1 sl st in third ch from beginning of Row 2.










Row 3




Row 3: (1 sc, 1 hdc, 2 dc, 2 ch 2 dc, 1 hdc, 1 sc) over each 3 ch loop, 1 sl st in last sl st from Row 2.










Weave ends
Row 4: behind Row 3, ch 5, (1 sl st in back dc of Row 2, ch 5) 5 times,

Row 5: (1 sc, 1 hdc, 3 dc, 2 ch, 3 dc, 1 hdc, 1 sc) over each 5 ch loop, 1 sl st in back of
sl st from Row 4.

Row 6: behind row 5, ch 7, (1 sl st in back dc of Row 4, ch 7) 5 times.

Row 7: (1 sc, 1 hdc, 4 dc, 2 ch, 5 dc, 1 hdc, 1 sc) over each 7 ch loop. Sl st in back first ch of Row 6 to fasten off. Weave thread tails - tighten center magic loop just enough to fit over spool peg before weaving thread tails.





Now.. to get my machine working... 

No comments:

Post a Comment