Menu

Monday, May 13, 2019

String Blocks AND More!

My first string block swap I participated in was back in 2015 when Rhoda Forbes hosted the exchange for the quilting group: JUQ. I finally finished my quilt with all those blocks!!! Yay!

I really like how the blocks pop with the black sashing.
Makes the blocks seem like they are on point.

I have the pleasure of hosting my first ever String Block Swap in our online group: Life's A Quilt. We started in April of 2019, and string blocks will be flying across the world until the end of June! We have members from the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand keeping the postal service busy!!

My first set of string blocks I received in the mail...


A tutorial was provided for everyone to use, and a few guidelines were set up in order for everyone to have fun.

We were to use 100% quilter's cotton and a paper foundation. Group members requested to sign up and once they were approved, address exchanges commenced!

Not only was it super fun to meet people and swap blocks with them, sewing on string blocks has also been a great SCRAP buster!


We all talked about the fun ideas we had for displaying our string blocks in quilts. Here are a few ideas I came up with using String Blocks in Half Square Triangles:

 

To make this version, Click here: Pole Twist - String Block Style!
 

 
I cannot wait to see what the group does with their blocks!!!

Because I was having so much fun sewing these blocks and using up my scraps, I ended up with sixty-five blocks in just a matter of 5 days!
And my tote full of strings does not even look like there was a dent made.


String Block Tutorial










Sashed String Block Tutorial
 

Here are some examples of what the quilt top will look like with sashing:


Of course, there is no stopping one from making it larger!

For my charity quilt, I will be using the turquoise fabric I had leftover from the backing on my other string block quilt from 2015. I am loving the fact that I can get a COOL looking quilt top made using 100% SCRAPS!



UPDATE: We had over 180 string blocks donated for our local string block mixer. We were able to get everything going for 5 quilts!

I did pass along my turquoise blocks to my friend Carol. Jude cut strings for more string blocks, while Nancy and I made a couple more string blocks to finish off a set of blocks for the 5th string block quilt.

We had some good food, fun chatting and a whole lotta sewing!

Bonnie chose to use purple glitter fabric for her sashing. By the end of the 2nd day, she had her quilt center finished.



Daun chose black, Gail chose three different yellows, I went with two different blues (there wasn't enough of any one scrap of fabric, so we mixed fabrics!).



I had an opportunity to make another sashed string block quilt for my friend. Her theme was Dragonflies, so I was able to incorporate them by appliqueing them into the quit.


I used a smaller sashing, but the process was the same. 




1 comment: