Menu

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Pole Twist - String Block Style!

Yes, I'm still playing around and tinkering with string blocks - if you haven't seen it - check out my other string block post here: String Blocks and More!

One of the quilt layouts I had drawn up was to arrange the string blocks in a pole twist (twisted ribbon) style quilt. This quilt is essentially made with 90 String Block Half Square Triangles.

With a 9 HST across x 10 HST down, three borders: the quilt measures about 84" x 91".

UPDATE: Don't forget to go to the bottom of this post to check out the finished quilts by Mary Santos and Celeste Gannon!



Here is a quick tutorial on how to make simple Half Square Triangles out of String Blocks:


What You Need:
String Blocks made using this tutorial: How to Build a Paper Pieced String Block - by Paco Rich
  • 45 Dark String Blocks - 8 ½” x 8 ½”
  • 45 Light String Blocks - 8 ½” x 8 ½”
Border 2: roughly 40 rectangle String Blocks - 8 ½” x 5 ½”
Border 1 and 3: 1 ¼ yard of neutral fabric (or make it scrappy by piecing together strips from different yardage)

NOTE: If your paper is still on (recommended), remember to shorten your stitch length for easy paper removal.

Sub cut each of the dark string blocks on the diagonal, with the cut running the same direction as the strings.

Sub cut each of the light string blocks on the diagonal, with the cut running the opposite direction as the strings. 


You will end up with 180 triangles; 90 dark and 90 light.

Arrange one dark triangle with one light triangle, right sides together and sew. Press seam towards the dark triangle. Repeat with remaining dark and light triangles.


You will end up with 90 Half Square Triangles. Square up to measure 8" x 8".

Arrange 84 HST string blocks in a 3 across x 2 down block layout shown here. Five of these stacked (ten total) will make up the 2 outside 'Poles' you see in the quilt. Four stacked make up the center 'Pole'.


Arrange the remaining 6 HST string blocks in two 3 across x 1 down layouts show here. These two, when placed on top and bottom of the center 'Pole', they offset the center 'Pole'.

center pole top

center pole bottom

Once you have made each of your poles, sew the 3 poles together to complete your quilt center.

First Border is of Neutral fabric cut at 1 ½” wide. 
Second Border is made up of roughly 40 string rectangles cut at 8 ½” x 5 ½” wide.
Third Border is of Neutral fabric cut at 2 ½” wide.


This adorable mini version of the
Pole Twist - String Block Style quilt is made by Mary Santos of Indiana for her grandbaby.


As we were all stringing along in the group and having fun, I was approached by my friend Wanda. I was asked what it would take to add a black outline to my original string block pole twist... 

At first, we were thinking we would only need to add a dark string down the center of the half square triangle, but upon drawing it out, we also realized we needed to add a black tip to the dark string blocks too!

Oh! What a beautiful sight this is!!!


Making the quilt should translate over easily from the string block pole twist quilt above, right?

Not quite so...

Adding a black strip to the dark string blocks increases the block size, so we need to increase the size of the Neutral String Blocks. 

Also, adding a tip seems like it should be simple, just sew on the same size of the strip as the center string to the tip... 

Well, not so much... 

And of course, we square up our blocks the same...

Well, wait a minute... That's not the same either!! 

And with larger blocks, our quilt size increases too!

The most super, important part about adding the black and getting the seams to line up around the 'Pole' is to remember:

“… the size of your seam is not as important as
the measurement of the finished unit …”
– Rhoda Forbes


So, with all this in mind, I have typed up a little one-page tutorial. 

Please do not copy or reproduce this tutorial in any way,
either digitally or printed.
This tutorial is for your own personal use.
If you wish to share with your friends,
PLEASE send them the link to my blog so they can
download a copy of their own: PJsCraftyCreations.blogspot.com

The pattern for the Black Outlined Pole Twist String Block Quilt Pattern is available for purchase here. Thank You!




Keep scrolling to view two beautiful quilts using this tutorial!

Scrappy String Block Pole Twist by Celeste Gannon 

Scrappy String Block Pole Twist by Brenda Richardson




13 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. This is very generous of you. I had scrap material given to me so I just do scrap quilts. My friend had to go into a seniors home and couldn't take them with her. We live far away from quilt stores so I rely on thrift shops and leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At what point do you recommend removing the paper? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it is a personal preference. I aim to leave my paper on until I have something sewn on all sides since there will be biased edges.

      Others remove paper as soon as the block is made. I think I might try that after starching it a little bit and using pins to hold it together while I sew.

      No matter when you remove the paper, make sure you sew with a shortened stitch length. Test a block to see if your stitches are short enough. Paper should peel off like ripping out a check from a check book.

      Delete
  4. I followed your directions but realized that it was going to be too big for what I wanted. So I reduced the squares to 5" and it looks great. It is for my first granddaughter (design chosen by her parents). Wish I could send you a picture :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see a photo! You can send me one here: https://m.me/paco.rich.14
      And if you give me permission, I would post it above too.

      Delete
  5. Won't it be easier to add a wide black strip down the middle of the colored square. It gets cut in half anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wanting to cut the black strip in half. If you were to double the strip, then squaring up the blocks, you risk having the black sting out of alignment.

      This pattern was created for those in a String Block Swap.

      Delete
  6. Is this pattern still a secret? I would love to create this using reds, whites and blues with a gray instead of black strip. Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I apologize. I am making a few changes to the pattern and I will have it back up soon. A red white and blue pole twist, string block style quilt would be amazing! ❤️🤍💙

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having trouble with the black point lining up with the black diagonal. Any suggestions? I cut the 1 1/8" off and sewed half of the 2 1/2" square on, but it is too large to match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several possibilities. It could be your seam sizes, or the size you square your block up to. If you have not sewn it to the next block, it could just appear larger, as some of the size would be tucked away in the seam.

      It would help me narrow it down if I could see a picture of your block. If you would email me a picture at iTec.Quilting@gmail.com, that would be best. Or if you have facebook, you can send me a picture though Facebook Messenger: https://m.me/paco.rich.14

      Delete