Menu

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Printing onto Fusible Web

I love raw edge applique... My favorite stitch is a satin stitch. I can make pretty much anything into a quilt using raw edge applique. 

My biggest time saver is printing my applique pieces onto the fusible web using my computer printer. I no longer have to spend hours tracing my pieces (standing at a window using the light from outside), hoping they look something similar to what I am trying to trace. 


I'm able to print multiple copies so that every one of my pieces is exactly the same. 

Things you will need:

  • Fusible Web: I prefer Heat N Bond Light - but have seen it work on Steam A Seam II.
  • Inkjet Printer
  • Rotary Cutter
  • Mat
  • Acrylic Ruler 24"
  • Scotch Tape
  • One Sheet of Regular Paper
Update: I have found that Front Loading printers work better than Top Loading printers. Laser Printers create heat when printing and will fuse the web to your rollers inside the printer – do not use Laser Printers.

To print onto fusible web

Use a fusible web that has paper on one side; Heat n Bond Lite

Cut out paper sized sheets of fusible web, measuring 11” x 8½”. 

Heat n Bond Lite can be cut so that you get 2 sheets per width of fusible. **Use a desk corner or such to gently flatten the papers so they do not curl up.

If you don’t know which side of the paper your printer prints on, try this:
On a piece of printer paper, draw a small X in the corner and place it in the printer. Remember how you placed the page with the X; up or down, so you know which side of the paper your printer prints on and you will know which way to add your fusible web sheet. Test print one page (or another test page). **Make sure you write the direction on a piece of paper and tape it to your printer for future references.**
Place one (1) fusible web paper into the printer tray so that when you print, it prints on the paper side of the fusible web. 

**With my new printer, the fusible web sheets glide right on through the printer. But if you are finding that the printer 'eats' your fusible web sheets almost every time, try adding support. Stack your fusible web sheet with a sheet of printer paper on the non-paper side. Fold over two pieces of tape on the top edge of the fusible web and sheet of printer paper. Insert taped edge into the printer first.**


Print only one page at a time
Select File and Print. In the Page to Print section: type in the page number you wish to print. 

Select Print. 

Repeat for additional pages.

Note: if printing from a PDF file, make sure the size options are not set to "Shrink oversized pages" or "Fit".


Click on photo to view larger.
Make sure the "Actual Size" print option is set instead.






6 comments:

  1. Nicely explained on how to print on Heat N Bond Lite. That is my preferred fusible too. I just got my printer up and working again so might have to try printing directly on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I wouldnt have it any other way. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much Paco, you have saved me many hours of discomfort. I find the process of tracing off my applique pieces are no longer a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Let me know how it works for you...

      Delete
  3. Great Instructions! I have just started to play with fusible applique. This is a great tip! will bookmark it for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I would love to hear how it works for you. I recently bought a new printer and it has eliminated the need of the paper reinforcement.

      Delete