Menu

Friday, February 10, 2023

Paco's Quilts of Valor over the Years

I found an online article showcasing the collaboration between Electric Quilt and Quilts of Valor. They called all quilters who use Electric Quilt to design their Quilts of Valor to submit their quilt images.

I was pretty surprised that my Race to the Stars quilt had been selected as the Overall Winner!


Since joining the Quilts of Valor Foundation and becoming a member of the Southwest Valor Quilters in 2017, I have made quite a few Quilts of Valor. I have used Electric Quilt—starting with EQ7 and now EQ8—to design and set up all of my quilts before I begin piecing them.  

Since there were quite a few, I decided to show them off here. 

Check back often, as I will update this post with new quilts as I make them. 

The most recent quilt is shown first. If there is a pattern, the link will be included.

Bubbled Strings

I immediately knew I had to make a Quilt of Valor version when I saw a scrappy, square version of this 3D string block quilt. I did not even make a dent in my QOV string box. Pattern coming soon.


Split Star Block with Panel

I had a few blocks left over from the National QOV Block Drive in 2023. They fit perfectly with a panel I had purchased. No pattern; just winging it.


Hollow Stars

I came across a star pattern I loved because it used 60-degree triangles. I modified the pattern to appear in 3D and changed the layout to be QOV size. This quilt was also an excellent way to use scraps! To see the original pattern, check out Hollow Star by Krista Moser.


I intend to make this quilt again, only enhance it with more 3D tweaks.

Power Twist Quilt of Valor

Inspired by my jelly roll quilt pattern "Power Twist," I made a smaller Quilt of Valor version to sew on National Quilt of Valor Sew Day 2024. Click here for the pattern.

I was honored to award this quilt to my friend, a US Air Force Veteran in Nebraska. 


Stars in the Wind

I was gifted cut scraps from a friend's collection. I designed this quilt around the sizes I was given. I started sewing on National Sew Day 2023 and finished it a few days later.


Irish Chain Quilt of Valor

I designed a no-sew fabric swap for my Facebook quilting group to meet quilters worldwide. We were to partner with other swap members (10 individuals to start with), exchange addresses, and swap strips of fabric: receiver's choice (rules and guidelines were provided, too). I chose to receive red and blue strips. Once they received them, they were free to do what they wanted with their strips. I provided an Irish Chain pattern I wrote to accompany the swap. Click here for the pattern.

This is my Irish Chain Quilt made with red and blue strips received from friends around the world. I finished it off with some custom quilting.


Inner City QOV


Our QOV group leader booked a quilt retreat for us in the mountains. The theme was QOV. We were to work on QOV quilts for the week. With all the pieces cut before I arrived, this one only took 3 days to piece the top. I love 3D Quilts! Learn to piece Easy Y Seams with the Inner City Quilt of Valor. Click here for the pattern.


I have since made a second Inner City Quilt of Valor. The owner of the retreat center where I made the first quilt LOVED the quilt and invited me to teach at her quilt shop. The second quilt is made with Northcott Flag, Red Stonehenge, and Midnight Blue fabric for the background.


Race to the Stars!


For this quilt, I got to play with a Jelly Roll. I wanted something quick to complete a quilt top for our two-day National Sew Day 2022 last year. I pieced it together, Jelly Roll Race style, and called it Race to the Stars! Click here for the pattern.



Irish Chain with Panel



This quilt was a joint effort from start to finish. We wanted to award a quilt to my Brother-in-Law, her brother, to thank him for his service. She chose the panel, and I chose the design to go around it. Once she completed the piecing, I did the longarmy, and she finished the binding. He proudly displays his quilt on his bed.


Scrappy Friendship Star


I have a soft spot for 3D-looking quilts. I was shown a friendship star block and asked if I could design a quilt to accompany it. This was the result. I called it the Scrappy Friendship Star Quilt. Click here for the pattern.


Sunshine QOV

My local quilt guild had a little rummage sale, and I snatched up a set of curved rulers. I'm always up for a challenge and drew a quilt that matches. Plus, I wanted to learn a bit about curved piecing. My QOV group thinks I like scraps and will pass on their QOV scraps to me. The result was fabulous!


Liberty Ride


Our group has many panels that need to be used. I was asked to develop a design to showcase the panels.


Ribbon and Stars


This is the first QOV I made when I became a member. I had seen a similar quilt and wanted to include stars, as I love to applique, too. Click here for the pattern.





Southwest Valor Quilters member since 2017




No comments:

Post a Comment